For those who use OS X at its core level (UNIX, aka Darwin), a very handy utility is the Terminal.app. Terminal.app is a quick way to drop down to the UNIX level of the operating system and perform some deep level coding. Or it can also be a way to navigate around the operating system if point-and-click isn't your thing.
With Lion Terminal.app got a few cool features, one of which is making windows blur when in the background. This is especially handy when you have multiple windows open at the same time, but want to focus on one. However, there seems to be a drawback to Lion's version of Terminal.app and that is Lion's Auto Save feature.
While Auto Save is nice for Pages, Mail or other main stream applications. The problem, however, with Lion's Auto Save is that it can make Terminal.app slower and much slower to launch. I've been having this very problem for several weeks but never had time to look into why Terminal.app took 10 seconds to open a new window. My intial research found this popular article at osxdaily.com. What was sort of ironic is the instructions require the use of Terminal.app to fix the problem with Terminal.app. Nevertheless, after following the instructions, Terminal.app still took 10 seconds (or longer) to launch. Ugh.
However, the instructions got me thinking about looking about in Preferences. Sure enough there were probably 60 or so saved windows from times I had quit first without closing a window or two. After deleting a bunch of duplicates (using the OS X interface for Preferences), I quit and relaunched Terminal.app. Viola. Less than a bounce in the dock and a second to open. I was in Terminal.app heaven. Well not really but you get the idea.
- Why iPad Pro is a long ways off from replacing MacBooks
- Apple's MacBook Lineup Is More Confusing Than Ever
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Absolutely The Best Feature Change In iPhone X