A group calling itself Apple Retail Workers Union picked up some nice press yesterday when they sent out their own form of a press release to some major media outlets. The goal? Simple. Unionize Apple retail stores. The chances of this happening? None to, well, none.
There are any number of reasons why Apple retail stores won't ever form a union, such as Apple's overall pay being much higher than the average mall store (you won't find any Genius salaries in The GAP), and benefits are good. But there are two key reasons any union effort for Apple retail employees will fail. First, Apple retail employees are a happy, satisfied bunch, because the atmosphere Apple has created for them is top of the class. Secondly, Steve Jobs has no love for unions (so it appears). In 2007 Jobs told a school-reform conference in Texas "I believe that what is wrong with our schools in this nation is that they have become unionized in the worst possible way..." Jobs also added "This unionization and lifetime employment of K-12 teachers is off-the-charts crazy." As a result of Jobs public stance it would appear Unions have no love for Jobs either.
This past March, the AFL-CIO opposed Jobs reelection to the Disney board of directors. The AFL-CIO cited Mr. Jobs frequent absences and the relatively unknown nature of his health as reasons why he shouldn't be on the board. Yeah, that's why. It's clear the AFL-CIO has no love for Jobs because his public stance on teachers unions. The AFL-CIO is smart to assume Jobs statements about teachers unions extends to many other forms of organized labor. But far be it from me to blame the AFL-CIO for going after Jobs, after all, it's part of their job to eliminate any resistance and look after their members.
Happy retail employees, working in atmosphere that leaves most customers satisfied with their Apple products, from a company that pays them them better than just about any other retail store in the mall, topped by a CEO who's will seems bent against unions,... Good luck Apple Retail Workers Union, you're going to need it.
- Apple's Most Exciting Announcement – Apple Card
- Why iPad Pro is a long ways off from replacing MacBooks
- Apple's MacBook Lineup Is More Confusing Than Ever
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly