Sep 13, 2011 — by: E. Werner Reschke
Categories: Mac Pro, MacBook, Predictions, Products
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro

Autumn has finally arrived in North America. While that means the college football seasons begins as well as school starts as well as cooler morning air bringing a change to the leaves, we Apple aficionados also know that means October is just around the corner.

October means a couple of things. First, a new fiscal year for Apple. We'll get to hear 4th quarter results and annual results in mid-October. This let's us know whether Apple is on track or has slipped somewhere. Second, it usually means new products of one sort or another.

This year Apple has several things they could release in October. First and foremost is the iOS 5 platform and iPhone 5. The announcement has already been made that these two products would show up in the Fall. October makes perfect sense for both. But traditionally October has also been a time when updates to MacBook Pros come to the fore. With the MacBook Air's popularity — its sleek design and affordable price points — we wonder what exactly the updated MacBook Pro's will sport this time around.

Our curiosity goes straight to the chassis. Right now if you set a MacBook Air next to a MacBook Pro the Pro looks like a boat anchor. The screen is sleek, but that's about it. The room needed for those slow, bulky hard and super drives really make the Pro look like a design from the early 2000's. To fix that perception we can see Apple rolling out two chassis for the updated MacBook Pro line-up. The first would house the standard hard and super drives and look similar to today. But for those who want to look more MacBook Air-ish, a second design would not contain a super drive and only use the slimmer SSD. While it would still carry the Pro moniker it would look like a "tweener" between the current Pro and Air models. This tweener design would also have the discrete graphics chip, necessary for most Pro users.

We believe this is a very interesting concept and we'd love to hear what you think. Here's to October!

1. Dr. Dennis W. White ~ Sep. 13, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

As long as the slimmer model also had access to a redesigned external DVD/CD drive that matched the new MacPro it could be a success. Also, the SSD memory would have to be expanded considerably, with the ability to add more as required. #
  2. Brain ~ Sep. 13, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Won't wash with old MacBook Pro users. We want the SuperDrive and HD or SSD. Not some slimmed down version of the MacBook. It's not a MacBook if it looks like a Air. Apple knows this. #
  3. eric ~ Sep. 13, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I traded my 15" MBP for a 13" i7 MBA. If Apple released a lightweight MBP (without optical drive) I'd definitely take one. The only problem I have with the MBA is the small SSD and the sub-par graphics chip. #
  4. Pablo T. ~ Sep. 15, 2011 @ 5:00 am

External Superdrive. SSD like MB Air , AND a standard 2.5 hard drive. SSD for OS X and apps, hard drive for data libraries. Ideal configuration? 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SDD, 1 TB hard disk. #
  5. Ike Marshall ~ Sep. 27, 2011 @ 6:30 am

I have a 17" MBPro,and at 6.6 lbs. it's not heavy,and it's not a Boat-Anchor! It's not quite an inch thick,and to call it heavy, awkward,or a Boat-Anchor,is ridiculous! I want a Super Drive,SSD's are way too expensive,and I watch and burn CD/DVD's. I buy Digital Music use Netflix & Hulu,buy physical Discs(CD & DVD),buy Cable & Broadband! Why should I do without the access of any of them? I don't want to Stream or download everything,and don't want everything in the Cloud,either. I still read books & Magazines,even though I don't read the Daily Newspaper much any more(because of biased reporting,more than the format). So,please don't try to force me to use my Macs or consume/create Media the ways you or the Industry prefers! I have an extensive Music and Photo/Video collection,and enjoy recording and listening to them. There is no way that I'm gonna stop listening to or watching/recording with my Macs;that's why I bought them! I CONTROL my Media! I paid for the equipment for that reason. #
  6. Ivan Marshall ~ Sep. 27, 2011 @ 7:12 am

What makes you think that a 1-inch thin Notebook is a Boat-anchor? Are you nuts? Some of us have serious work to do,and an Air won't cut it! We have Music and Movie collections,burn and listen to CD/DVD's,stream and buy physical discs,and connect whatever we need to our MBPros. I don't want everything in the Cloud,either. I have Broadband,and good access to Wi-Fi,but many don't,and don't completely trust the "Cloud"! Let me enjoy and consume my media,my way. #

Leave your reply (* = required field)

* Comment: