QuasiDisk was updated Monday morning with a secret feature. It allowed iPhone users to tether their 3G connection to their Mac. Redmond Pie was one of the first to pick up the news and had a video tutorial on how to set it up. Without that information, it would be hard or impossible to figure out it even had tethering.
It was not long after the news broke about the secret feature that Apple pulled the application from the App Store. While the setup to tether was a little long, it did work for those that were able to purchase the application before Apple pulled it. Yet, does QuasiDisk have full tethering?
After setting up the Ad hoc network outlined in Redmond Pie’s video, I was able to get the Internet to work with the browser on my Mac. The setup only showed how to configure the http proxy and the SOCKS proxy. It did not setup the https proxy, so navigating to secure https sites will not work. Neither did other Internet based applications like Apple’s Mail. For those that figured out how to setup both of these applications, let me know in the comments below.
Building in secret features in applications in Apple’s App Store are always risky. Apple will pull those applications once the word gets out. This is especially true for tether, which the carriers like to charge for. This is not the first application to get pulled for tethering, and it won’t be the last. Time will tell if tethering with QuasiDisk will continue to work in the future or not.
- An Apple Special Event in November?
- Google's Newest Pixel 2 Phones, Their Worst Ever?
- Best Thing About the MacBook Pro is...
- Tech Journalist's Apple TV 4K Hypocrisy On Full Display
- What Is The Difference Between iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X?
- If you haven't ordered your iPhone 8 yet, odds are it's because you are holding out for iPhone X
- Moving to an iPhone from an Android device could cause some real problems – like not having any.
- Apple's Silent iPhone 8 Price Increase
- iPhone 8 for $1,400? Not Even Close
- Apple's New ARKit and Virtual Reality – The Next Level Awaits