Dear Mr. Cook,
I'm going to make this short and to the point. By now most of the public interested in iPhones knows Apple's new Mapping application has some glitches in various regions, and for the moment, lacks integrated public transit system information. I was pleased that you came forward with an open letter to inform the public that the highest levels at Apple are aware of the problems and they are being addressed post haste.
But why on earth would you take your own employees, along with one of the major thrusts of the new iPhone 5's marketing and power (Apple's all-new Maps app) and recommend customers use something else? Not only is that a massive marketing 101 screw up, it isn't warranted. Apple management has already stated the Apple Maps app is well over 99% accurate, and for 99% plus of it's users it's a joy to use. Over the past week I've used it extensively, and it has been a better solution than Google's mapping integration ever was. I'm sure millions can testify to the same experience, and I am asking them to do so in our comments area.
You should have let the public know that Apple made a mistake in not launching Maps as public beta software, that Apple jumped the gun a bit, and it should have been launched like Siri. This is the right way to communicate the applications current deficiencies, while informing consumers of its great new features, finishing your comments with a positive note that you believe Apple's Map app will be the most amazing solution in short order. But why on earth would you throw your own map team and product under buss is beyond the pale.
Next time you feel compelled to write an open letter, please give more consideration to your employees, product, shareholders, and potential buyers before recommending other products over your very own.
Mark Reschke - T-GAAP
- Apple's Most Exciting Announcement – Apple Card
- Why iPad Pro is a long ways off from replacing MacBooks
- Apple's MacBook Lineup Is More Confusing Than Ever
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly