The 2014 New York auto show is in full swing, and with it has come some high profile CarPlay announcements, but probably none more significant than yesterday’s press release from Hyundai.
The all-new 2015 Hyundai Sonata will be available this fall, but CarPlay will not. Hyundai mentions CarPlay will be available on models with a navigation package later in the year, and that it will be integrating the technology into its core-volume Sonata. Deciphering Hyundai's vague presser, it appears CarPlay will not be arriving in the fall on the base model Sonata, but will arrive sometime in early 2015, bundled into a $2,000 (or higher) technology package.
In no way does CarPlay kick Hyundai's Microsoft’s technology to the curb. Hyundai’s Blue Link® technology package, also branded and redskined as their sister company’s Kia UVO, is at its core a Microsoft solution, and will be available at different levels of functionality for every model Sonata. But the trend is being set. Apple’s CarPlay technology is the desired pay-to-play solution, while Microsoft’s brief moment in the sun is quickly being relegated into the default, lowest common denominator product – the cheap stuff.
Most every major car manufacturer has signed up to support CarPlay, but a few notables are missing. Volkswagon, Mazda, Lexus, Infiniti and other large profile divisions of General Motors are not on the list — yet. Buick, Cadillac and GMC have not committed, but once the public begins experiencing CarPlay technology, and starts whittling out brands that do not have it as an option, virtually every car maker is likely to commit to CarPlay by year’s end.
Aftermarket deck makers, Alpine and Pioneer, are committed to bringing systems to market this year, with prices starting at $500. To stay current Apple has updated their CarPlay site detailing the latest partners.
- iPhone 8 for $1,400? Not Even Close
- Apple's New ARKit and Virtual Reality – The Next Level Awaits
- Apple, Boeing and Low Earth Orbit Nirvana
- First Presentation in Steve Jobs Theater: iPhone's 10th Anniversary Special Event
- A Complete Car Offering From Apple Is In The Works
- Apple's New 10.5-inch iPad Pro Begins Shipping
- The Rebirth of Mac: Apple Listening to Customers or Responding to iPad's Missteps?
- Finder FINALLY Arrives in iOS 11
- iPhone 8, Home Button and the Amazing OLED Display
- iPhone 8's Killer Feature – AirPods