At WWDC, Apple unveiled many new iCloud features. One of those features is iCloud drive. Users will be able to store files on iCloud directly from the Finder with multiple layers of folders. They will also be able to store photos on iCloud. Hopefully, iPhoto and Aperture will integrate iCloud in their next updates.
When users start to store more files in iCloud, the demand for better storage payment options will rise. Apple already addressed these demands at WWDC as well with a new pricing model. The following chart compares the new iCloud pricing against the old iCloud, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, and Box. Also noted is how much one gets for free and the price per year for 20GB, 50GB, 100GB, 200GB, and 1TB.
As one can see, Apple has lowered their prices. The new iCloud pricing also blows past Dropbox’s and Box’s 100GB only option. Dropbox has been a major player on the iOS, but this could change with the new iCloud. While Microsoft’s OneDrive has 2GB more free space, the pricing plan will be twice the price of the new iCloud options. Google Drive is the only competitor that is comparable. With 15GB of free space and $24 for 100GB, Google still beats or matches iCloud in most areas. Apple has not released their 1TB option price, so we will have to wait and see how Apple compares to Google at the high end.
With this new pricing model and iCloud features, Apple will be putting a huge amount of pressure on the rest of the cloud storage industry. If Apple can add all of the features from Dropbox to iCloud drive, Dropbox will be a losing proposition if they don’t change their pricing. At WWDC, we saw many big feature updates for iCloud and a great new pricing model to help users make the switch to iCloud drive.
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Absolutely The Best Feature Change In iPhone X
- Apple Gets the Millennial and Journalists Don't Like It
- Apple's Best Hidden Talent Resides Within Their Silicon Team