It must be that time of year, you know, the time of year when musicians get their groove on. According to the Mac App Store Garage Band In-App Purchases lead the way as the #1 purchased download. Interestingly AntiVirus Sentinel Pro is #2. This seems odd since the advent of OS X, anti-virus software has been less and less necessary. Windows that has been the germ spreader over the past decade and a half, but perhaps Windows defectors are buying a first time Mac. Therefore part of their thinking is that one must have anti-virus software. Rounding out the top five are Logic Pro X at #3, Document Writer at #4, and Final Cut Pro X at #5. The festive holidays must bring out the creative in people, with GarageBand, Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro all in the Top 5.
In the free download area, OS X El Capitan leads the pack at #1; no surprise there. App for Instagram is #2, which claims to be an easier way to share photos on Instagram from your Mac. Microsoft Remote Desktop is #3, followed by XCode and Full Deck Solitaire coming in at 4 and 5 respectively.
Oddly enough only one game made the top five downloads as either a paid or free app. If we look at the iOS App Store the results are quite a bit different, with four games making the Top 5 of paid and free downloads. The OS X App Store popularity rankings reveals that creative types still prefer using Macs as their tool of choice. It also demonstrates how lackluster OS X is as a gaming platform — no real news there. We can probably expect more and more games to find their way onto the new Apple TV platform.
One final, and interesting observation, is that OS X Server app is #9 in the Top Grossing list. OS X Server runs $19.99 USD, so volume purchasing make it far more popular than most might assume. If Apple pays attention to their store details, like OS X Server sales, could they decide to build hardware specific to support their server software? Perhaps 2016 is the year Apple wakes up and realizes the mistake it made in 2011 by killing the XServe and in 2014 by killing the Mac mini server configuration. The store results could teach Apple a lot.
- Apple's Most Exciting Announcement – Apple Card
- Why iPad Pro is a long ways off from replacing MacBooks
- Apple's MacBook Lineup Is More Confusing Than Ever
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly