If Dish Network believes Sling TV is akin to hitting a home run, they may be right. And while it may not be bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded with the game on the line, it is at least the bottom of the 7th. The problem? Dish Network, standing over the plate, just struck out.
T-GAAP was able to test Sling TV before it launched publicly, and while first impressions were favorable, as a Mac and iOS user, after several days of use the experience fell flat.
Without an App for Apple TV and no ability to Airplay from iOS devices, trying to watch network sports or dramas on my laptop just was not a great experience — especially since I could see my beautiful 50" HDTV in the distance sitting dormant.
Dish Network’s technology priorities are dumbfounding. To eliminate millions of subscribers (myself included) by not having their service usable via Apple TV, which is also the least fragmented platform on the planet, and ignore tens of millions Sling TV streaming set-top boxes is the worst decision Dish Network has made in a decade (okay, purchasing Blockbuster Video wasn’t a boy-genius move either).
Sling TV has bugs — and lots of them, such as networks often going black, kicking into buffer mode. Strangely, each day I used Sling TV the buffer issue seemed to grow worse. The best answer I have is that Dish Network simply cannot keep up with the increased streaming demand due to growing subscriber numbers. This made Sling TV basically useless. The bugs simply became unacceptable.
A product this important for Dish Network success and survival cannot be rushed through beta testing or a soft launch, yet that is exactly what it appears Dish Network has done. Currently, the experience is next to awful, and while technical glitches will be worked out over time, at this point, it simply is not worth the frustration. Dish not having Apple TV or Airplay ready from the start is also a major show-stopper.
The overall lack of getting Sling TV onto my TV easily, coupled with a host of bugs quickly soured me. As a Mac and iOS user, Sling TV — at this point — is simply not worth $20 a month.
- Apple's Most Exciting Announcement – Apple Card
- Why iPad Pro is a long ways off from replacing MacBooks
- Apple's MacBook Lineup Is More Confusing Than Ever
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly