Apple’s Mac lineup is stale, and that is putting it mildly. The Mac Pro is now a staggering 2 1/2 years into its lifecycle without a single upgrade. The MacBook Air has seen almost no changes, save for incremental processor updates since 2010. The iMac form factor has not changed since the fall of 2012. The newly minted MacBook and MacBook Pro's have seen only slight incremental upgrades this past year, and the Mac mini is a mere afterthought. What's going on?
The only significant new release to Apple’s Mac lineup has been the MacBook (of which I use and love), in April of 2015. It recently received a slight Intel processor update. Wow... In fact, all Apple has been keen to do the past few years is release Intel processor updates to products, with the MacBook Air still living in an ancient design, with what can now only be described as a horribly low-resolution display. Apple’s Mac lineup has become a cash cow with little invention, but that may be about to change.
There has been increased chatter of Apple moving to use its exclusive liquid metal license in MacBook chassis, which would likely usher in all-new form factors for Apple’s laptops. Liquid metal is lightweight and incredible strong and rigid. The metal technology would set Apple’s laptop apart from all others in the industry. But why so slow in upgrading any Mac?
It may very well be that Apple will make a massive change to its Mac linup, specifically the laptop lineup, in switching to internal A-series processors and graphics. Apple is unlikely to simply move to its own processor, without showcasing how great these new laptops are without all-new exterior design work. New processors, great battery life, and amazing liquid metal shells, showcasing Apple’s all-new direction.
Unless Apple has nothing but a half dozen interns running the Mac lineup, that team has been busy working on a lot of new technologies. What comes to the market is anyone’s guess, but it would seem Apple is gearing up for something big, because it has been far too quiet, for far too long.
- Apple's Most Exciting Announcement – Apple Card
- Why iPad Pro is a long ways off from replacing MacBooks
- Apple's MacBook Lineup Is More Confusing Than Ever
- Apple's quiet but steady improvements to the butterfly keyboard
- Stop the Insanity! Did Apple's iPhones Sales Really Fall Last Quarter?!
- Stop The Fake News! iPhone X's OLED Display Is NOT Just Like Any Other Samsung Offering
- iPhone X: Android Publications Can't Get Enough Of It
- Apple Gears Up at Costco, Just In Time For Christmas
- NY Times David Pogue Gets Why Apple TV 4K is the Best Streaming Box On The Market
- iPhone X: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly