As we are all getting settled into the latest release of OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, the Cupertino tribe is busy working away on the next major release of OS X. Our Bay Area source has just informed Three Guys and a Podcast that the official name will be derived from the internal code name which is “Syrah” — a type of red wine. Therefore, the official OS X name for the next major release is to be “Napa Valley”, or “Napa” for short.
Our source also noted that there have been internal discussions at Apple concerning whether to use future OS X names to promote all of California or just locations surrounding the Bay Area. If you’ve ever been to California there is a big riff between No-Cal and So-Cal. Most of Apple’s talent lives or is from the Bay Area, and while the new OS X naming convention is supposed to reflect “Made in California”, there is no love loss for only picking Northern California destinations for the next several OS X releases.
T-GAAP has previously commented on possible future OS X names. The response and creativity of our readers was enlightening, as well as humorous. There were suggestions for some good names (Yosemite, Redwoods) and also some not-so-good ones (OS X South Central, OS X I-405). And while Napa sounds "soft" to us, and is from only one source, we can see it fitting in well with the local silicon valley culture.
We were unable to learn any new details about the feature set of the forthcoming OS release, but it is a good bet that Apple will continue to borrow from the design and UI of iOS.
Note: We only have a single source on this story, and are working to corroborate.
We will continue to work this story and post an update if anything new should arise.
- A 6th Generation iPod Touch?
- Is Apple TV dead or is it just the beginning?
- Intel – Your Days with Apple are Numbered
- Apple Watch: The Ultimate iPhone Accessory
- Apple Servers: Why It Still Makes Sense
- Why I'm buying the new MacBook
- 10 Apple Watch Technologies that Crush Android Wear, Part 2
- 10 Apple Watch Technologies that Crush Android Wear
- Apple Watch Edition Needs Celebrity Sponsors
- Lack of ports on the new MacBook? No problem for those living in 2015